- In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.
Carl Sagan - Keyword(s): Politics , Religion , Mistakes
- A life devoted to science is therefore a happy life...
Bertrand Russell - Keyword(s): , Life , Happiness
- Every science begins as philosophy and ends as art.
Will Durant - Keyword(s): Art , Philosophy
- It is the man of science, eager to have his every opinion regenerated, his every idea rationalized, by drinking at the fountain of fact, and devoting all the energies of his life to the cult of truth, not as he understands it, but as he does not yet understand it, that ought properly to be called a philosopher.
Charles Peirce - Keyword(s): Philosophy
- My mother made me a scientist without ever intending to. Every other Jewish mother in Brooklyn would ask her child after school, "So? Did you learn anything today?" But not my mother. "Izzy," she would say, "did you ask a good question today?" That difference - asking good questions - made me become a scientist.
Isidor Isaac Rabi - Keyword(s): Education
- There are no physicists in the hottest parts of hell, because the existence of a 'hottest part' implies a temperature difference, and any marginally competent physicist would immediately use this to run a heat engine and make some other part of hell comfortably cool. This is obviously impossible.
Richard Davisson - Keyword(s):