- The moment you say that any idea system is sacred, whether it's a religious belief system or a secular ideology, the moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible.
Salman Rushdie - Keyword(s): , Ideas , Secular , Religion
- It is safer to quote what is written than what is spoken. What a man writes it is fair to presume he believes as a matter of general conviction, but it is not so with what he utters in the freedom of conversation. In that he may only express the feeling of the moment, and not his settled judgment, or matured opinion.
Christian Nestell Bovee - Keyword(s): Quotations , Speaking , Writing
- I've learned that fear limits you and your vision. It serves as blinders to what may be just a few steps down the road for you. The journey is valuable, but believing in your talents, your abilities, and your self-worth can empower you to walk down an even brighter path. Transforming fear into freedom - how great is that?
Soledad O'Brien - Keyword(s): Ability , Fear
- When I look back at that freedom of childhood, which is in a way infinite, and at all the joy and the intense happiness, now lost, I sometimes think that childhood is where the real meaning of life is located, and that we, adults, are its servants - that that's our purpose.
Karl Ove Knausgaard - Keyword(s): , Life , Childhood , Adult
- When the Internet first came into public use, it was hailed as a liberation from conformity, a floating world ruled by passion, creativity, innovation and freedom of information. When it was hijacked first by advertising and then by commerce, it seemed like it had been fully co-opted and brought into line with human greed and ambition.
Neil Strauss - Keyword(s): Internet , Conformity , Innovation
- Many politicians lay it down as a self-evident proposition, that no people ought to be free till they are fit to use their freedom. The maxim is worthy of the fool in the old story, who resolved not to go into the water till he had learned to swim.
Thomas Macaulay - Keyword(s): , Politics , Swimming
- I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery.
Anonymous - Keyword(s):
- Here is my advice as we begin the century that will lead to 2081. First, guard the freedom of ideas at all costs. Be alert that dictators have always played on the natural human tendency to blame others and to oversimplify. And don't regard yourself as a guardian of freedom unless you respect and preserve the rights of people you disagree with to free, public, unhampered expression.
Gerard K. O'Neill - Keyword(s):
- To freely bloom - that is my definition of success.
Gerry Spence - Keyword(s): , Success
- It can be a little too easy sometimes to dismiss arguments you don't like as hate speech, or to complain that this or that speaker makes you feel... disrespected. Being offended is not to be confused with a state of grace. It's the occasional price we pay for living in an open society.
Ian McEwan - Keyword(s): , Society , Respect